Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
I am a mother of three children, a cancer survivor and a widow. My experiences about life are many, of which I want to share. I have a wonderful family and live in one of the most beautiful places Midwest, Wisconsin. Feel free to leave comments!!

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Grief – Memories That Heal



            It has been almost five years since Tom died, and I wonder where the time has gone.  I came across the box containing all the sympathy cards we received at the time Tom died.  I hadn’t realized at the time, that there had been so many cards.  I counted over one hundred and eighty cards.
            As I re-read all those cards, I was surprised that I did not cry.  I did not cry because the cards brought me so much comfort.  All the warm wishes and personal comments made my heart happy to think that Tom had a good life.  He was valued by so many and was truly cared about by so many.
            Comments such as “He was such a patient and caring boss,”  “I had not only the opportunity but the privilege to work with Tom.  I was able to observe and learn much from Tom”, “Tom’s priority in life was his family and he never missed an opportunity to brag about all of you,” and “Tom could fix anything!”
            There were so many comments on Tom’s patience, kindness, and strengths, the affection many people had for Tom just filled my soul.
            We also received cards from many of the key people in Tom’s cancer care.  They shared comments such as. “Tom always had a smile and never complained about his pain.”  “He had a lot of tenacity and survived months longer than we thought he would, he had great strength.”
            It is truly comforting to know that he was loved.  I truly believe that Tom accomplished most of the things he had wanted to accomplish in his life.  This also gives me comfort and as I remember him, I still miss him, but know that he did have a good life.

No comments:

Post a Comment