Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
I am a mother of three children, a cancer survivor and a widow. My experiences about life are many, of which I want to share. I have a wonderful family and live in one of the most beautiful places Midwest, Wisconsin. Feel free to leave comments!!

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Coping with Cancer After Death and Loss of a Loved One - Guilt

            Grieving is a process that is unique to each person.  Grieving has no time line, no set process and no rules.  Each person must grieve their own way and at their own pace.
            It has been seven years since my husband died and I am still grieving.  The pain I felt when he first died has lessened, but it is still there.  I have read many books to help me cope.  I went to a grieving support group to help me cope.  There is no secret process that gets you through it, you just do.
            Having other people to lean on is beneficial and lets you know that someone else cares how you feel.  One day though, you will have to lean on yourself. 
            As a cancer survivor who lost her husband to cancer, my longest step of grieving was the guilt.  Why did I survive my cancer and my husband did not?  I was diagnosed first and started treatment.  Five months later, my husband was diagnosed with cancer and started his treatment. 
            The first thing I had to realize was that cancer is not a punishment or a curse.  It is a process that our bodies go through to deal with free radicals that have entered our bodies.  Free radicals are things in our environment, things we eat, injuries or health conditions that cause pre-cancerous cells in our body.  Our immune system usually takes care of these pre-cancerous cells, but when it cannot, these cells become cancer.
            Unfortunately, it happens to often and to too many people.  My husband and myself happen to be two people that it happened to.  I had Squamous cell anal cancer.  It is the same type of cancer that Farah Fawcett had.  My husband had small cell lung cancer.  Why?  There is and never will be an answer to that question.  It is how our bodies respond to the free-radicals that it comes in contact with.  If our natural immune system is strong enough, the pre-cancer cells are destroyed.  If not, then they become cancer.
            Understanding that cancer is not a punishment can help with grieving.  I was not punished because I had cancer.  I was not punished because my husband died from cancer.  It just happened.
            As far as guilt about being a survivor and my husband was not, it had to do with the cancer type we each had.  Mine had a cure and my husband's was terminal.  I survived and was able to help my husband die with dignity.  I was there for him.  I understood what he was going through with his treatments because I had the same experiences.
            Of course this did not lessen my grief when he died.  He was gone and I was still here.  It took me many years to stop feeling guilty, but I no longer feel that guilt.  It is just one step in the grieving process.  You do not have to be a cancer survivor to feel this guilt.  Many people feel guilt once their loved one dies.  They feel guilt that they were still alive and their loved one was not.
            There is no need for guilt.  There is no lottery that says who will live and  who will die.  It is the process of life.  One way I found to survive my guilt, was to remember that my husband would want me to live my life to the fullest.  He wanted me to be happy and fulfilled when he was alive and I know it is what he would still want now that he is gone. 
            It is difficult to do this without him, but I hold onto the good memories we shared and smile when I think of him.  This helps me to go on and strive fulfill his wish that I be happy. I need to remember this from day to day.  He is gone and I am still here.  I have the opportunity to live the best I can and by doing so, I can honor his memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment